Matteo is preparing a juicy orange cake for the breakfast of our guests at Villa Landucci…Plan your future stay in Florence with us to taste it or just try the recipe at home!
For the pastry dough:
- 300 g organic brown sugar
- 285 g organic flour type 00
- 7 organic eggs
- 210 g fresh squeezed organic orange juice
- grated orange peel from one organic orange
- 120 g cooking-oil
- 16 g baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 vanilla pod
For the Orange syrup:
- 3 tabelspoons white sugar
- filtered juice of one organic orange
- 200 ml water
- Seperate the eggs.
- Pass the flour through a sieve and put it into a large bowl, then mix it up with the brown sugar, salt and baking powder.
- In the center of the flour mixture make a well and add in order the following ingredients (without stirring): Cooking oil, egg yolks, orange juice, grated orange peel and vanilla seeds.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff with three drops of lemon juice.
- Now mix all ingredients in the bowl until the dough gets really smoothy and at the end fold in the egg whites.
- Bake it in a preheated oven at 165 °C for 50 minutes and for further 10 minutes at 175 °C.
- Remove the cake from the oven, for cooling remove the baking pan and dust it with icing sugar.
- Warm up all the remaining ingredients in a small saucepan on low heat until obtaining a syrup.
- Brush the syrup over the freshly baked cake to finish it up.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Baking time: 60 minutes